Saturday, January 24, 2015

Meeting with the Doctors

     So I received the phone call from Hazel's medical team late yesterday afternoon, and here is what I know so far: First, the surgeon was actually out of town and can't look at her scan until we see him in clinic. So we are not are what his thoughts are yet, but I made an appointment for Wednesday, so we Wil get some answers then. Second, the rest of the team was all in agreement with her main oncogist, that since this spot has remained completely stable for nine months and all of her labs came back normal, that we should NOT start any treatment right away and that we may be safe just monitoring it with follow up scans. They all hope the surgeon can biopsy/remove this tissue so we can have some concrete answers, but if it will be too risky, we will wait until her next scans with this new machine (which are set for 10 weeks from now instead of 3 months) to see if there has been any change. If there has been, then we can discuss possible treatment, but if not, we will continue monitoring it. So even though we still have more information we are waiting on, I still consider this another small victory! They could have just as easily said we needed to start treatment right away, so thank goodness that was not the consensus! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear they have a newer machine to make sure Hazel is ok. Praying that you'll have answers by Wednesday and for wisdom for the doctors and nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful news. You know they don't take a wait-and-see approach unless they can comfortably justify it. Neuroblastoma is so aggressive. I think that it is reasonable to see this as a victory! Did you ever give a more specific account of Zoe's diagnosis and I missed it? Not that it's any of my business, but if you did share that and I just somehow didn't read it, I'd love to know how she is and how you are. I've followed your family's journey from the pizza story. There's something so lovable and special about Hazel, but you don't need me to tell you that. Best, Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK GOD! This is indeed another Victory!
    Praying for you all ALWAYS-

    ReplyDelete